Pro vs. Premier
When purchasing QuickBooks desktop software to run your business, the small business person is faced with the decision, which version should they buy. Over the next few posts, we’ll look at some of the features in each, and some of the differences between the versions. Hopefully, this will help make that decision easier.
Pro is the most popular desktop version. It is cheaper. It is packed with features for the price. For smaller businesses, it often has all the capability they need.
What can you do in Pro?
- Track inventory. QuickBooks will keep track of the items you have in stock, both quantity and cost. And the value of those items is always reflected on reports so you know how much you have invested.
- Do your own payroll (additional subscription required). Track employee hours, pay rates, taxes, and create paychecks every payday in minutes
- Record time and expenses for customers, then automatically add those costs and that time to invoices for customers, without having to manually add them to the invoice.
- Print checks, pay bills, and track expenses.
- Track sales taxes, even multiple rates in multiple tax jurisdictions.
- Sell internationally. Use the multi-currency feature to track sales and expenses in pther currencies.
Of course there is more, But in this limited space, those are the highlights.
With the purchase of additional licenses, three people can be working in the same QuickBooks file at the same time.
What about Premier? What additional features are added?
- Premier comes in several industry specific versions. Contractor, Professional Services, Retail, Non-Profit, and Manufacturing and Distribution.
- Use sales orders to track back orders and special orders
- The sales order fulfillment worksheet helps inventory based businesses to decide which orders to ship first when a shipment of goods arrives.
- Setup your system so you can login from a remote location
- Use business planning tools like operations forecasting and writing business plans
- The Contractor version tracks expiration dates for liability and workers comp insurance on subcontractors.
- The Professional Services version will create large grids listing billable time and expenses, helping with invoicing each month.
- Each industry specific versions contains specialized reports and help screens specific to the chosen industry.
With Premier, up to five users can access the same QuickBooks file at the same time across a network.